PRIDE offers several Youth Leadership opportunities and programs for our local youth. These programs build skills in youth leaders to promote healthy lifestyles and spread positive messages, in order to encourage younger children and their peers to stay substance free.
The Windham PRIDE Youth Council brings together teens from different schools and communities. We joined not knowing anyone and, here, found life-long friends.
Youth Leadership Academy and Junior Youth Leadership Academy
- A collaboration with the Willimantic Police Department
- Week-long programs for youth entering 9th-12th grades and 7th and 8th grades, located at the Town Hall, during the summer months
- Provides leadership training, life skills, personal development, team building challenges, public service opportunities, and interaction with community leaders and motivational speakers
- Concludes with Family Celebration events, in partnership with local businesses.
Youth to Youth International Summer Training Conference Scholarships
- Available to selected graduates of the Youth Leadership Academy
- Four day leadership training for youth at Bryant University
- The selected youth then become counselors for the Junior Youth Leadership Academy
- Meet a minimum of twice a month to discuss topics on substance use and prevention
- Produces radio ads and plans activities for their peers and younger youth
- Participates in community events, including Third Thursdays Street Festivals and Trick or Treat on Main Street
ICP Healing Community Church BYEG Youth Ministry
- Local youth group from the faith based community, focusing on building community leaders
CADCA’s National Youth Leadership Forum in Washington, D.C.
- Youth from both the Youth Council and the ICP Healing Community Church Youth Ministry attended in 2018
- Participants met other youth from around the country, participated in prevention and leadership workshops, toured the capitol city and met with state legislators